Friday, July 23, 2010

WAS TOO TIRED FROM WATCHING 300 SO THIS IS WHAT I GOT

"So," I began, clasping my arms around my legs, "Who do you live with around here?"

Lanoo must have sensed that we would have a long conversation because he sat down next to me and leaned back on his upright arms. "Oh, you know, just with my cousins and friends."

"What about your parents?" I asked.

"Don't have any," was the reply.

"Well, everyone's got to have parents," I told him, wondering how in the world a bunch of kids could live under one roof. "You mean to say you were orphaned, right?" Maybe he lived in an orphanage not far from here and snuck out because he was a rebel.

"Oh, no, never orphaned," he replied. Lanoo looked down to the rift in between us and stroked a little white flower that grew there. "Not in our culture. You may think it's abandonment, but it's just life for us."

"Okay..." I said, choosing my words carefully as to not insult him. 'Would you mind telling me what that culture is?"

"Mine," he replied.

Nice. Obscure answers were the best. Had I been a terrorist type of person, I would have blown his head off right then and there. I wanted to know more about him, but it Lanoo was going to give me more obscure answers, I really didn't want to ask any more questions. Maybe that was his plan all along.

Lanoo turned to me. "Tell me about yourself."

"What do you want to know?"

"Everything?"

"Creepy..." I said. I wasn't sure if he was purposely getting on my nerves or if he really was a creeper. No, he was too handsome to be a creeper. Creepers generally didn't take care of themselves and looked creepy on top of just plain unattractive. Maybe he was a different kind of creeper? "Well, be more specific." Please don't ask a creeper kind of question, I prayed.

"Well," he began, and searched for some question to ask. The flower growing in the bramble must have given him an idea because he then followed up with, "What's your favorite flower?"

It wasn't hard. "Daisies."

"Why?"

What kind of a question was that? But I did have a reason for liking them, so I didn't hesitate. "They're small and cute and simple. They're easy to draw, too."

---------- ---------- ---------- ----------

As it continues, I realize that this Willow person is becoming less and less like me. I like sunflowers over daisies.

I think she's becoming more of her own person.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVEZ WHEN STORES COLOR THEIR FLOWERS, ESPECIALLY THEIR SUNFLOWERS, FUNNY COLORS!

    Also, nah, I think this piece of the story is fine. If anything, I think it's becoming a bit more poetic---somehow, I feel like them talking about something as seemingly meaningless as flowers is actually extremely powerful---liking daisies can be extremely powerful and stand in for a personality trait of Willow's that you'd never have been able to stick in before, without telling.

    OKAY, LIKE *THAT* WASN'T RAMBLING!

    Anyway, what I mean to say is, I feel like, here, you're really showing, not telling. De Arcos always said showing was better than telling, in creative writing :3

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOMG YES FUNNAAYY CULURRZZ xD I haven't seen sunflowers in funny colors but I'll be sure to look for them. 8D

    Yaay for doing something right without even thinking about it! I was kind of in a mundane mood, trying to find out how the rest of this story should be played out, so I just made Lanoo do some random stuff. xD I guess it works for him. Neither of the characters have really developed in the story, so it's okay for them to do random stuff, I guess.

    IDUNNOWHADTODOTOMAEKITBETTAH

    >.<

    Maybe tonight I'll have some good ideas on how to improve the story. xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, what?! You've never seen sunflowers in funny colors? Like the kind in red, orange, yellow, blue, aw, heck, the whole rainbow?! (Or, wait, HAVE I ever seen a green sunflower? I think I skipped that o.O)

    Anyway! I feel like those may have been a fad of the 90s, but I STILL SEE THEM, IS SWEAR!

    Also, this may sound weird, but, someday, I totally want a garden full of miniature cactuses. Whenever I go to the store, I like pricking my finger on them, just to test if it hurts. Sometimes, it does; sometimes it doesn't. Mostly, it only does when I try to test my limits XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha mini cactuses. Once, as a child, I tried petting a cactus because it looked "fluffy". It didn't hurt, but the hot wax did. >.<

    I should just google funny looking sunflowers. 8D Much easier than going to the store and searching for some. xD I don't think flowers are green for three main reasons: The stem is already green, the petals wouldn't attract bees and butterflies, and they're prolly not very pretty anyway. If I see a naturally growing green flower, though, I'll tell yah. 8D

    ReplyDelete